January 10, 2020 & SMART Goals
Friday, January 10, 2020
It is the beginning of another BLC round (42 specifically). It is the time where we set our goals for the next 12 weeks. I’m sure you all know that SMART stand for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely.
For the first time in many years I feel hope for having a loss this round. In October I started a program called Naturally Slim that my work is paying for. (Yea!) This program doesn’t tell you what to eat. It isn’t a diet. It is more of a behavioral modification program than a “diet”. In fact, they use diet to mean what you eat, not a restrictive program. In this program we focus on when and how rather than what. I mean I can eat fried chicken, french fries, tacos, really any food I love and find mouthwatering. In fact, from October 2 through January 8 I’ve lost 10 pounds. Does that sound small? Not to me. That 10 pounds down represents what I normally lose in a year of hard dedicated work. That is just over 0.75 pounds a week. If I continue this path (and no it hasn’t been a steady loss, there have been ups and downs as with all parts of life) I will be about 40 pounds by this time next year. That would put me pretty close to my ideal weight (maybe even a little under what I’m shooting for).
I know there will be challenges ahead, but I am more hopeful and confident in my abilities to handle them. This new program, when added to Spark People and the BLC (Biggest Loser Challenge) seems to be working.
Over the years I have changed my goal setting from results to processes. If I can institute the process the results will happen. There are 3 main areas I want to focus on (bet they’re not what you expect, exactly). Healthy Habits, Homecraft & Socialization. See told you they weren’t the normal ones (at least for me).
This includes all things related to living a healthy life. This will include both nutrition, eating habits and physical activity/exercise. My goals are:
1. to eat only when hungry (level 3).
2. to take my time when eating chewing slowly and savoring every bite.
3. to drink H2OJ or H2O (more than tea)
4. intentional fitness training (aka exercise) for 10+ minutes a day upon rising.
(I hate housekeeping, home maintenance, housework, etc. perhaps changing the word will help, kind of like going soda free helped me kick the soda habit). This will include cleaning, cooking, home repairs/upgrades. My goals are:
1. to keep my kitchen counters decluttered so they can be used
2. to keep the sink clean (no dishes in sink)
3. to keep the dishwasher empty (so dirty dishes can go in)
4. to keep the dining table clean (so we can eat there)
5. to be able to walk anywhere in the house without fear of tripping
6. to have clean bathrooms (guest ready)
7. to have an uncluttered and peaceful bedroom
8. to have my “fun” room usable
9. to be able to sit on the couch
I have been trending towards being a hermit. I have only a few friends that I see on a regular basis. I have no hobbies that get me out of the house and interacting with other people. I need to have more interaction with others.
1. Spend more time with BFF (outside of Saturday games)
2. Find a hobby DH & I can share outside the home.
3. Host a game day for friends (I have a few left I think)
Now to make them SMART (and to find my focus for January).
1. I will exercise upon getting up every morning for the next 21 days.
a. I will set out my exercise clothes the night before
b. I will dress and exercise after my morning BR break.
2. I will eat my food one food at a time at every meal for the next 21 days.
3. I will use the NS app to track & time my meals daily for the next 21 days.
1. I will spend 10+ minutes when I get home from work putting the clean dishes away for the next 21 days.
2. I will spend 10+ minutes a day keeping my kitchen sink tidy for the next 21 days.
3. I will spend 10+ minutes a day throwing out trash, boxes, bags, papers that are not needed for the next 21 days.
1. I will make a play day with my BFF at least once in the next 21 days.
2. I will research local clubs that DH & I might enjoy participating in and bring some choices to him for consideration, with how often they meet, where they meet and what we would be doing.
Am I working on everything at once? No, that way for me ends in nothing getting done. I have a 6-day streak so far with the morning exercise. This weekend will be the big tell on how dedicated I am to make this happen. I am focusing on a couple of key habits with eating that I know help me stay on course. My house is such a state of chaos that I hardly know where to start. So, I will start small. I will work on the 3 projects stated, these will only occupy 30 minutes a day. I can spend 30 minutes a day supporting my dreams.
Here’s to the beauty and bounty and hope of a New Year and new decade this year. May it be the best one ever for you.