Beck Diet Solution Week 1 Day 1
Thursday, October 01, 2020
Beck Diet Solution
Week 1 Day 1
Date: October 1, 2020
Advantage Response Cards
Today’s reading is about creating cards in which you write your reasons (why) you want to lose weight. In my case, I am creating cards for my reasons to actually complete the Beck Diet Solution activities. I have been reading and rereading the pink book over the years, but never actually followed through to the end.
And I have been struggling to get with my plan for eating and exercise these past 2 years. As I go back and read my ARC from the past and take note of my weight then and now I am fighting not to get discouraged. But today is a new day!
My reasons to do the Beck Diet Solution:
1. To make this WOE (way of eating: whole food plant based) a higher priority than pleasing others or to satisfy a momentary desire.
2. To learn to accept the restrictions I impose on myself in order to reap the reward of better health, especially as I get older.
3. To have faith in my ability to make good choices decisions about what, when and how much to eat --- and to follow through with those decisions.
It is important to read these reason (my why) several times a day so these reasons will be firm in my mind whenever I am tempted to eat something that is not beneficial to my health and well-being.
Reading these cards with my reasons for following through with my plan often will solidify my motivation to do the right thing in times of temptation to eat some so-called food, something not on my plan to eat.
Reasons why I want to eat a Whole Food Plant Based Diet
1. Better health
2. Better mobility
3. Better sleep
4. Better energy
How To Use The Advantage Response Cards
1. Read the cards daily, at schedule times
2. Read the cards whenever I find myself struggling with cravings, temptations, or sabotaging thoughts.
It is important not to just glance at the cards, but to stop and think, “How important is this to me?” As I read the cards, I need to think seriously about my “why”. As I do this, this will internalize my reasons so that they will become of part of my thinking. This will help me effectively answer those sabotaging thoughts that occur whenever I encounter a trigger.
I remember in the past standing in the candy shop and responding to the clerk’s question, “Can I help you?” with, “Just a minute, I am having a dialogue inside my head and I have to see which side wins.”
I need to motivate myself to read my advantage cards daily and often throughout the day. I need to commit these reasons to memory for when those tough times come.